Suspected Carlisle shoplifter dressed in wig spoke to TK Maxx staff

Repeat offender Steven Robson, 60, committed the offense at the TK Maxx store in Carlisle on April 6, the city’s Rickergate Court heard. He admitted to having outraged public morals and attacked the police.

Staff contacted police after noticing the accused arriving at the store at 9am, wearing a wig in an apparent attempt to hide his true identity.

When a store employee challenged him and asked him to leave the store, he responded by saying, “You’re just jealous.” »

He then added an insult before walking away exposing his buttocks.

When questioned by police, he admitted assaulting an emergency worker – a police officer – but denied any other offences. In court, however, he admitted the second offense of contempt of public morals.

The court heard Robson had 135 previous offenses on his record, with the last significant crime on his record dating back to October 2020, when he was sentenced to 43 months in prison.

Mark Shepherd, defending, said the offenses in the TK Maxx case led to the defendant being recalled to prison for 11 months, the remainder of a sentence he had already partly served when he committed the two new offenses.

Although this sentence had now expired, it represented a real punishment for his conduct at the store.

The lawyer said of Robson: “He has been homeless and on the streets since his release. Her mother was diagnosed with cancer and she lives in a one-bedroom apartment. So he cannot currently stay with her.

“On the plus side, he is Band A’s priority for housing and plans to get housing soon. Robson’s problems also included MS, post-traumatic stress disorder and COPS lung disease, Mr Shepherd said.

He was making good progress in drug counseling. A probation officer in court said there had been concerns within the department about a possible escalation of the defendant’s drug use.

There was also evidence of his return to a “chaotic lifestyle”, so the risk was not deemed manageable within the community.

District Judge John Templerley said it was right to note that the defendant was serving 11 months in prison following his recall to prison and he accepted that Robson worked with Recovery Steps.

“You have to continue down this path,” the judge told Robson.

For the attack on the emergency workers, District Judge Temperley imposed a fine of £140, but there was no separate penalty for outraging public decency. Robson must also pay costs of £85 and a surcharge of £156.